Saturday, September 6, 2008

Wiki wiki on the wall - are you telling me the truth?

I like the idea of wikis as a quick efficient way of collaborating with like-minded groups, and part of me likes the fact that they're free for anyone to edit, but I'm like Biblio Chick in that I could never trust the info I read in one, and like my information to come from a source I can rely on. Vandalism has obviously become a problem with some wikis and in some cases has led to the restriction of editing rights, but what worry me are those where the vandalsim is more insidious and nobody has been alerted to it, so the so-called information is still out there.

Within libraries wikis seem useful in all sorts of ways - subject guides, book reviews which could just get more and more detailed, but especially for collaboration and dissemination of ideas between library professionals working anywhere in the world.

1 comment:

johnandgemma said...

Just watched a TV programme about the crucifixion of Jesus. Apparently the only person who can be identified through contemporary evidence as having existed at the time was Pontius Pilate. But then was the TV programme telling the truth??